Sunday, May 10, 2009

If you're a fan of any of the following:

* period pieces/films with an exceedingly British flair based on
* classic literature, more specifically: Jane Austen.
(Persuasion was Austen's final complete work, published after her death. I find this telling and incredibly romantic!)
* the Thompson sisters (as in the incomparable Emma & Sophie)
* an understated heroine who is "intelligent, quiet, and generously caring"
* irresistible romance
* chivalry
* star-crossed lovers
* second chances
* undying love

...then you need to rush out and buy this movie, which just so happens to be on sale at the Bountiful Shopko right now for a mere $9.99! Totally made my week to finally have it in my possession!In case you need further persuasion, here are my favorite quotes of the movie:

Captain Harvile: "I won't allow it to be any more man's nature than women's to be inconstant or to forget those they love or have loved. I believe the reverse. I believe... Let me just observe that all histories are against you, all stories, prose, and verse. I do not think I ever opened a book in my life which did not have something to say on women's fickleness."
Anne Elliot: "But they were all written by men... If I may, so long as the woman you love lives, and lives for you, all the privilege I claim for my own sex, and it is not a very enviable one - you need not covet it, is that of loving longest when all hope is gone."

Anne Elliot: "Are you here for the concert?"
Captain Wentworth: "No, I am here for a lecture on navigation. Am I in the wrong place?"

And finally, the BEST part of the entire movie...
Captain Wentworth: ...(Yeah, right! As if I'd give you the best part and spoil the entire film! Go out and watch it for yourself. You'll know the part of which I speak the moment you hear Captain Wentworth's driven whispers.)

No comments:

"The democracy will cease to exist when you TAKE AWAY from those who are willing to work AND GIVE to those who would not."



Thomas Jefferson