2. One of my best friends at the time (Jay Haslem) was getting ready to go on his mission. We spent so much time together up to that point that I seriously wondered what I would do with myself after he was gone to Missouri. It was a lonely time for me. (And "no", we never dated. Some people find that hard to believe, but it's true, and whenever his name comes up with old high school peers I just have to laugh because they all seem to be soooo interested in a friendship from that long ago and ask me about it. So I'll just clear that up right now. Can't a boy and girl just be close friends???)
2. Five years ago, Halle was two and her personality was really starting to shine through! She was talking a ton (and still does!). She was obsessed with "Dora" but especially "Blue's Clues". Later that year we found out she was getting a sibling.
1 Year Ago
1. We were getting ready to move into our new house. I still have a difficult time talking about that move. It was seriously one of the most stressful times in our lives. I get very emotional even thinking about...it brings back all those feelings of anxiety and exhaustion! I don't think we've ever been that wiped out. On a happier note, we knew we had moved into a great ward when we met our new neighbors who came to help us move in.
2. Last summer Carson was just starting to sit up and he was also enjoying a hot summer wearing a cranial remodeling orthosis (molding helmet) to help reshape his head from plagiocephaly.3. Halle was already planning her 6th birthday party, which was still over 2 months away. It turned out to be a great party, though, and I think it helped her make some friends in her new neighborhood. Here's the birthday bunch at Build-A-Bear (I'd highly recommend them for a party...so easy! And not as expensive as you'd think!).
So Far This Year
1. For the first time in years (since the 5th Grade when a classmate told me I had a "bubble-butt"), I'm learning to be comfortable in my own skin and accept myself for who I am. Of course, I see a lot of room for improvement, but I think my outtake on it is so much healthier than it's ever been. Much of this new perspective comes from having a husband who goes out of his way to make me feel good about myself. Thanks, babe. You keep wearing those rose-colored glasses and we'll be just fine!
2. I've got twelve students lined up for piano lessons which will start in the fall. After an 18-month absence, I'm really looking forward to teaching again! I miss my students in Arizona...what a stellar group of kids! This picture was taken at the 2006 Christmas Recital, just a couple weeks before Carson was born.
3. So far this year, I've had my first three appointments with a chiropractor and several more forecasted. The jury is definitely still out on how I feel about chiropractic theories, but I'm willing to give it a shot.
1. The kids had swimming lessons, where Halle is improving on her front stroke and Wyatt is learning to have "noodle-arms and legs" when he is floating. My friend, Heather, has her girls taking lessons at the same time so we have a great time visiting while we wait! After swimming lessons, Carson had his 18-month check-up, complete with two pokes in the legs (poor guy). He cheered right up the minute the nurse handed him a sucker, though.
2. John, Dix, and Heidi came over after dinner and treated us to chocolate chip milkshakes: YUM! We had a great visit!
3. Halle helped me sort laundry. She is a great helper and has such a desire to be my "right-hand gal", but I'm not the best at letting her help. We were talking about this during the Relief Society lesson on Sunday...sometimes we have to be willing to take on the "extra work" that comes with letting kids "HELP". I have to remind myself that someday I'll be begging her to help around the house...
1. The kids enjoyed their weekly CRAFT CAMP with their friends. Thanks, Heather...they loved the patriotic things you planned. The frames they painted are proudly being displayed on the countertop!
2. Brett played "Mr. Mom" during dinner while I went to my chiropractor appointment. What a guy! And he even got the kids to eat all their dinner!
3. I went grocery shopping and once again nearly had a breakdown at the register when I saw the total. The prices of gas and groceries are killing our budget! I bet we pay nearly 30% more on the same groceries we've been buying for years! I've even been contemplating getting a part-time job at Target or Wal-Mart so we can get a discount on our weekly grocery bill. I know I'm not the only one feeling the pinch of the current economic status!
1. Halle & I will have her piano lesson. She's playing the song from Titanic right now. She sounds pretty good, but she plays it all the time! I'm starting to feel like "My Heart Will Go On" and on, and on, and on...
2. Hopefully I will be putting stacks of neat, clean, folded laundry away. Believe it or not, my biggest problem with laundry is not the washing or folding. It's the putting away. How pathetic is that? Sometimes we will start another round of laundry-washing and my baskets will still be full of clean clothes from the previous week, just waiting to be lovingly put away.
3. At 5:30 there is a puppet show ("The Brave Princess") at the Bountiful Library presented by the Utah Puppet Theatre that I'd like to take the kids to.
1. Halle will be entering 2nd Grade, hopefully at the new Foxboro Elementary school or Wasatch Peak Charter school (she's 13th on the list for 1st-Grade...a better spot than we'd thought she'd get, but still so far away from getting in).
2. Wyatt potentially may be entering Kindergarten (Holy Cow!). We'll see how prepared he'll be after a year of preschool at Foxtales preschool. We're so excited for this to start in only a couple months...he's going to love preschool! It's just that he's so small for his age...it's hard to imagine he might be a kindergartner in one year! And to top that off, Carson will be 2 1/2....WILD!!!!!!
3. We are crossing our fingers that next year we will be able to replace our crappy tile floors and put a closet into our playroom. Also, our backyard will hopefully have a few shrubs and trees planted! It's only money, right?????? (Yikes!)