Tuesday, August 12, 2008

O Pioneers! 24th of July Parade

This was something we'd looked forward to all summer long:
HANDCART DAYS
GRAND PARADE
DOWN BOUNTIFUL'S MAIN STREET
*
I love this parade. I think it rivals any parade seen on the Wasatch Front. In fact, a majority of floats seen in the Days of '47 Parade are seen here first. Our favorite place to watch it? Why, on the front lawn of Heritage Place with Grandma & Grandpa B., of course! The parade passes right on by, and early in the parade path, so we get to see the performers at their very best!
It's too difficult for Grandma's back to sit that long in a folding chair, so we took the chance to visit with her some during dinner prior to the parade. She treated us by buying tickets to Heritage Place's Pioneer Day dinner. It was actually quite delicious: hot dogs hot off the grill, homemade root beer (the best kind, right?!), chips, pickle, melon, and grapes. As you can see, Grandpa was ready to roll with his hat to keep the sun out of his eyes! He loves a good parade, especially the marching bands. Carson liked on his hot dog, too!
*
The kids loved the parade! They made out like bandits on candy and even got a stuffed animal.
Here are some of the highlights:
This bike caught everyone's attention, although I couldn't help but wonder...
Did the circle in the air ever feel like a 3rd-Wheel???
*
I'll give you one guess to decide who's favorite float this was...
*
Grandpa has eagle-eyes when it came to candy...if the kids missed some that had been thrown, he'd poke Halle with his elbow and then use his cane to point to the unclaimed sugar.
(Thanks, Grandpa! I'll forward the dental bills to your address! LOVE YA!)
*
Stuff like this in parades makes me cry. Like the ugly kind of cry. The kind of cry that makes you sheild your face from the crowd because it's so embarrassing.
~ ~ ~
P.S. Our neighbor, Matt, is there, too, but like any good soldier he did not acknowledge our enthustiastic screams of "Brother Jensen! Brother Jensen!"

*

This makes me cry, too. And reminds me of my mom because she loves bagpipes!

It also makes me think of Brett's MBA Graduation, which had bagpipes accompany him and his fellow graduates in the procession. I cried then, too. (It had been a long two years at ASU!)

*
Once again, my eyes were leaking.
I love seeing Veterans.

Our Patriotic Boys!
* * * * *
p.s. One thing I really missed seeing this year is the Air Force fly-over in Vernal.
That makes me cry the hardest of all.
Am I the only one that gets so emotional at parades???

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The jets ALWAYS make me cry! Talk about the ultimate expression of our military!

Wonderland Girl said...

In Vernal the veterans get out and salute the flag and sometimes they sing or recite something patriotic. We always sit near the place they get out because I think it's the most important part of the parade. And I cry EVERY TIME.

joyce.kremin said...

This is the first year we've not attended the parade on the fourth, we were up camping. I sure missed it and hoped we would at least hear the jets fly over the town but we were too far away. Not only do I shed tears, my goosebumps have goosebumps. I always think of my Dad and brother and husband with greatful heart. Mom

joyce.kremin said...

This is the first year we've not attended the parade on the fourth, we were up camping. I sure missed it and hoped we would at least hear the jets fly over the town but we were too far away. Not only do I shed tears, my goosebumps have goosebumps. I always think of my Dad and brother and husband with greatful heart. Mom

"The democracy will cease to exist when you TAKE AWAY from those who are willing to work AND GIVE to those who would not."



Thomas Jefferson