Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Time to pencil in my workouts. (In permanent marker.)

So today was my first day Gold's. I met with a trainer to consult my goals and develop a plan to meet them. It was pretty insightful and actually almost emotional to share the desires and goals I have for my physical body (I know...I'm a dork...I almost started crying. Twice.). But you know, learning to take care of our bodies as well as learning to accept them and find joy in them, despite what we feel might be flaws IS an emotional, and often difficult, journey. So yeah, I feel like I'm not too wrong feel all emo about it. Anyway, after talking we did a little workout. All I can say is that I did the right thing joining a gym... I had such a difficult time doing what the trainer asked me to do, and they were really quite simple things, that I'm more convinced than ever that my body is crying out desperately for me to help myself. I'm excited to see where the next year or two years is going to take me. The trainer asked me what I thought the hardest part would be? What would be the biggest roadblock for me to reach my goals? Hands down I said, "TIME." I don't have a hard time getting motivated, I just have a hard time finding time to exercise. The biggest change I have to make is how I look at the time-factor. In the past, I tried to FIND time. This time around, I have to MAKE time. I think I'd consider myself a pretty busy person. I'm a mother of 3 young children. I'm a wife. I take care of a home and yard (I'm not saying alone, of course...I'm in a partnership here. But nonetheless, even when you're doing it with somebody, these things are major components of what "takes up your time"). I have a church calling that is pretty demanding. It's definitely the highest-maintenance calling I have EVER accepted in the church. I teach piano. I visit teach. I write a missionary. I have family members and friends I like to take care of when I see a need. Blah, blah, blah, I could go on and on, and I know that every single woman out there is in the same boat I am. Maybe our list of "to-do's" varies, but I know the fact that I have many things pulling for my time is not unique to me. If I don't MAKE working out a priority--something I'm unwilling to sacrifice; something I'll schedule AROUND instead of cancelling or changing; something I'm willing to tell people, "I'm sorry, but I'm unavailable" if they ask for my help during the time I've set aside for my body. That's the biggest adjustment I'll feel in my life--I need to constantly remind myself that it's worth it. That * I * am worth it. And that I don't need to feel guilty about it. So yeah...changes in my schedule are in my future. But so are changes in how I feel about myself and how healthy I am. It's penciled onto my calendar and I'm ready to do it!
*
*
P.S. Sorry this is all underlined. Blogger's being weird today and I can't figure out why it's doing it. Annoying, I know.

4 comments:

Kami said...

Good for you, Hope! At least you don't have trouble getting motivated. I feel like even when I find time to exercise, I don't really WANT to! If only we could remember how good we feel AFTERWARDS!

I enjoyed listening to "A Bit of Earth" while I looked at your blog. "Secret Garden" is my favorite musical!

Mandy said...

Yay Hope! I'm awful at "finding time" to work out too. You will have to let me know how it goes, so that you can be my inspiration in a couple of months! :)

Brian & Heidi Haas said...

I need to get out the permanent marker and make time also. Although I'm with Kami...finding the motivation is just as challening as finding the time. ;) I'm proud of you though!

Unknown said...

Go you! No one deserves this more!

"The democracy will cease to exist when you TAKE AWAY from those who are willing to work AND GIVE to those who would not."



Thomas Jefferson