Sunday, August 2, 2009

i might not have much to offer, but it is enough.

This week at Youth Conference, each morning we started our day with scripture study and a discussion about what we had read in the second chapter of 2nd Nephi. (One might recognize that chapter from their seminary days, as a well-known scripture mastery can be found in verse 25: "Adam fell that men might be: and men are, that they might have joy.") Much of this chapter addresses the fall, opposition in all things. But it also speaks a good deal of our redemption, which is through the Holy Messiah, Jesus Christ. After we read, one of the young men leaders made a comment that struck me. He referred to the idea that salvation is free unto all. And while it is in a sense, we do pay a price: our effort and our faith. Despite what we are asked to pay, the blessing of the Lord's plan is that we can all afford it.

Verse 7: "Behold, he offereth himself a sacrifice for sin, to answer the ends of the law, unto all those who have a broken heart and a contrite spirit..."

The mercy and unconditional love of the Atoning sacrifice of Christ is available to all who are willing to offer in return a heart filled with genuine remorse and a sincere commitment to improve. The Lord has not asked anything of us that we cannot afford to give. I found that comforting to know...I might not have much to offer, but if I do it willingly, "believing in Him", I shall be saved. I can do that, and that's an empowering knowledge to have. It reminds me of the story of the Widow's Mite (Mark 12:41-44). How grateful I am this Sabbath morning to my Savior, that He would accept my meager offering and in return grant me eternal life and happiness.
Hope Sig1

No comments:

"The democracy will cease to exist when you TAKE AWAY from those who are willing to work AND GIVE to those who would not."



Thomas Jefferson