Thursday, July 16, 2009

more than just a 3-day weekend.

I'm just now getting around to posting about things that happened two months ago. However late, they are still things I want said and journaled so I'll remember years from now how I felt and what I did.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Our Memorial Day started out spending time with some of our very favorite people. The Hodges, the Langelands, and the Miles' joined us for breakfast. Our plans changed a bit with the wet weather (it was supposed to be an early breakfast around a campfire up Mueller Park but ended up at the church gym), but we still managed to have a good time!
The kids (ahem...the DADS) had fun playing a rousing game of kickball...
Fun activities aside, however, I love Memorial Day and what it means.

I love the opportunity to dedicate loving thoughts towards those who've passed on. We had plans to visit Brett's grandparents graves Memorial Day afternoon, but after Wyatt complained of an upset stomach, we decided it would be best if Carson and I stayed home with him while Brett and Halle took flowers up to Roy and Hooper.


The Friday before, I was honored to go with my Mom and Dad to the Redwood Cemetery to place flowers on my brother, Paul's, and my Grandma & Grandpa Kremin's graves. It was crowded and busy with others coming to remember their dead, but I still treasured that time with them. Halle was in school, but it was nice to take the boys and show them the headstones. Mom picked out some beautiful carnations (one of her favorite flowers)--I especially loved the delicate baby ones she chose for Paul. My parents don't talk much about Paul. Had he been born twenty years, or even ten years, later his tiny premature body would have had a much better chance of survival. Nonetheless, he was not meant to remain in this earthly life and although I'm sure her faith has been a great comfort, I know my mother still carries the deep wounds of her loss.

In an email following that day, she asked,
"Thanks for going to the cemetery with Dad and I. It wasn't quite like I planned, a lot of company there, but just as well, all the tears I have wouldn't have changed anything. 'Nice to feel Paul is close to family there, though, can't help but wonder what it will be like when it's my turn, do you think he will be there waiting for me?"
I was very moved by her yearning and I'm convinced that yes, Mother, he will be there waiting for you. He's your son and wants nothing more than to be reunited with his mother and father and all those that love him.
I love the view from that cemetery
I'm not sure why these pictures are rotated incorrectly. On my computer they are right, but for some reason blogger has them this way. Oh, well. You can still see how beautiful their headstones are.
During a period of what I believe was one of their most happiest of times, my parents actually lived on Redwood Road just south of this cemetery. There's a Target and Albertsons now across the street from where their house used to be.
Hope Sig1

1 comment:

Wendy Kremin said...

Oh Hope that was touching. My sister Annette died when she was just 20 months old. Blonde curly hair, blue eyes and the joy of my mother' s heart. She wandered off and was drowned in an irrigation ditch. I think of her and Paul sometimes wondering if they are watching and loving us through so many trials together. I love what you said to your Mom. She will be blessed to hold him again as a tiny newborn baby boy. I love the Atonement!

"The democracy will cease to exist when you TAKE AWAY from those who are willing to work AND GIVE to those who would not."



Thomas Jefferson