Sunday, March 30, 2008

Thyme-Saver!

Perhaps you are a culinary genius and I'm "old news", but I heard a tip on television regarding herbs and I thought I'd share it! * I love to use fresh herbs, particularly basil. But, as you know, it can be $$$$$ and goes bad quickly! So the tip I'd like to share is this: chop up your fresh herbs, then place inside the squares of an ice cube tray. One package of fresh basil filled half of an ice cube tray! Fill the "cubes" as high as you can, and then slowly add enough water to the herbed-cubes. Freeze. When ready to use, simply pop out the desired amount of cubes (for example, today I used two for my lasagna). Add the extracted herbed-cubes to your sauce or pan frozen. The water will melt and the herbs will be as good as new! This really worked perfectly. My lasagna got the "fresh" basil flavor I was looking for and I didn't have to worry about wasting the leftover. It was also convenient and fast since the basil was already chopped! The only situation I could see this not working for would be for something "dry", like a sandwich or something. But to add it to a soup, a sauce, etc., it's ideal!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Thanks for the great idea!

"The democracy will cease to exist when you TAKE AWAY from those who are willing to work AND GIVE to those who would not."



Thomas Jefferson