Saturday, February 23, 2008

FHE: Get-To-Know President Monson






For Family Home Evening last week, we had a simple activity that the kids seemed to really enjoy and also helped them better know our new prophet, Thomas S. Monson. I printed out two copies of 6 pictures of President Monson and his family that I found on lds.org. I then printed out 6 strips of paper, all of which had facts and bits-of-interest about the prophet. We played memory with the pictures, being sure to emphasize different aspects about each. For example, when the kids turned over the picture of "Tommy" as a young boy fishing, we reminded the kids that President Monson once was a child like them, and he had choices to make, just like they do. It's up to them to listen to the spirit like Tommy did, to help them make the right choice, etc.
-
One more note...we began the lesson by showing a picture of President Hinckley and briefly talking about what a wonderful prophet he was but also helping the children understand that he is no longer on the earth to be our prophet. We then asked the kids, "Do you think Heavenly Father would leave us without a leader for our church? Or do you think He would provide someone new that can guide us and help us know what to do?" We then talked about how that new person was Thomas S. Monson. We had the kids repeat his name a couple times. I even wrote it down so Halle could read it. We quickly bore our testimonies that the Holy Ghost had told us that he really is who the Lord wants. In just a couple sentences, Brett explained that at General Conference we would have the opportunity to tell the world that we support Heavenly Father's choice and that we promise to follow President Monson's counsel. We explained that sustaining someone means just that--you promise your support and willingness to follow. We helped Wyatt understand that at General Conference if everyone said at the same time, "I support President Monson! I sustain him!" it would be very noisy, so instead we do it without talking, by raising our hands to the square. We had the kids practice this and told them they'd have the opportunity to do it for themselves in a few weeks. Then we jumped into the game.
-
I thought I'd post the pictures and facts in case you wanted to do this FHE for your family this weekend. (My kids especially loved the snake story! They were in hysterics...we all were!) After a match is made, read the fact or story that goes along with the matched-pictures.
-
1. Read the following with the picture of "Tommy" Monson riding his bicycle:
Born in Salt Lake City, on August 21, 1927, President Monson is the son of G. Spencer and Gladys Condie Monson. As a young child, people called him "Tommy" instead of Thomas. Here is a story President Monson shares recalling how as a youngster, he loved dogs:
"One day I took my wagon and placed a wooden orange crate in it and went looking for dogs. At that time dogs were everywhere to be found: at school, walking along the sidewalks, or exploring vacant lots, of which there were many. As I would find a dog and capture it, I placed it in the crate, took it home, locked it in the coal shed, and turned the latch on the door. That day I think I brought home six dogs of varying sizes and made them my prisoners after this fashion. I had no idea what I would do with all those dogs, so I didn’t reveal my deed to anyone.
Dad came home from work and, as was his custom, took the coal bucket and went to the coal shed to fill it. Can you imagine his shock and utter consternation as he opened the door and immediately faced six dogs, all attempting to escape at once? As I recall, Dad flushed a little bit, and then he calmed down and quietly told me, “Tommy, coal sheds are for coal. Other people’s dogs rightfully belong to them.” By observing him, I learned a lesson in patience and calmness."
-
2. Read with picture of President Monson as a sailor:
President Monson served in the United States Navy near the close of World War II. His "job" was working in the Newspaper Business.
-
3. Read with picture of President & Sister Monson at temple:
He married Frances Beverly Johnson on October 7, 1948, in the Salt Lake Temple.
-
4. Read with picture of "Tommy" fishing:
As a boy, Monson and his family would spend the summer in a cabin at Vivian Park in Provo Canyon. It was there that Monson developed his life-long love of fishing.
-
5. Read with picture of President Monson's children:
President and Sister Monson had three children. Their youngest child, Clark, always liked animals, birds, reptiles—anything that was alive. President Monson says that sometimes that resulted in a little chaos in their home. He continues with a story:
"One day in his boyhood he came home from Provo Canyon with a water snake, which he named Herman.
Right off the bat Herman got lost. Sister Monson found him in the silverware drawer. Water snakes have a way of being where you least expect them. Well, Clark moved Herman to the bathtub, put a plug in the drain, put a little water in, and had a sign taped to the back of the tub which read, “Don’t use this tub. It belongs to Herman.” So we had to use the other bathroom while Herman occupied that sequestered place.
But then one day, to our amazement, Herman disappeared. His name should have been Houdini. He was gone! So the next day Sister Monson cleaned up the tub and prepared it for normal use. Several days went by.
One evening I decided it was time to take a leisurely bath; so I filled the tub with a lot of warm water, and then I peacefully lay down in the tub for a few moments of relaxation. I was lying there just pondering, when the soapy water reached the level of the overflow drain and began to flow through it. Can you imagine my surprise when, with my eyes focused on that drain, Herman came swimming out, right for my face? I yelled out to my wife, “Frances! Here comes Herman!”
Well, Herman was captured again, put in a foolproof box, and we made a little excursion to Vivian Park in Provo Canyon and there released Herman into the beautiful waters of the South Fork Creek. Herman was never again to be seen by us."
-
6. Read with current picture of President Monson:
President Monson has a strong testimony of Jesus Christ. He has said, “I know that God lives. There is no question in my mind. I know that this is His work, and I know that the sweetest experience in all this life is to feel His promptings as He directs us in the furtherance of His work.”
-

1 comment:

Tif said...

What a great FHE! We are actually going to do it tonight. I'll let you know how it goes!

"The democracy will cease to exist when you TAKE AWAY from those who are willing to work AND GIVE to those who would not."



Thomas Jefferson