Thursday, July 26, 2012

what lay behind the mask?


"Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.  And how else can it be?
The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.
Is not the cup that holds your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter's oven?
And is not the lute that soothes your spirit, the very wood that was hollowed with knives?
When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy."


poet Kahlil Gibran


I saw this on my neighbor, Jen's blog and just had to steal it so that I could always remember these beautiful words. It reminded me of a beloved scripture in Psalms which reads:

"Weeping may endure for a night, but JOY cometh in the morning"

Our trials and challenging experiences are as great a blessing in our lives as are times of peace and prosperity. Our joy is truly our sorrow unmasked - a thought I hope to hold onto when I find myself in a moment of sorrow or heartache...joy is promised to surely follow.

No comments:

"The democracy will cease to exist when you TAKE AWAY from those who are willing to work AND GIVE to those who would not."



Thomas Jefferson